By this summer Island Express Bus will be completely through the 3-year long COVID hiatus. Islanders and their visitors are travelling again at pre-COVID levels.
Our new bus routes serving Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino start at the end of January; they operate 3 times a week, and by mid-May will increase to 6 times a week.
Tofino / Ucluelet schedule summary:
Effective May 18 our Nanaimo / Port Alberni / Ucluelet / Tofino bus service will offer:
* We apologize, but there is no space on any Islandlink bus to carry surfboards
- Once daily service Nanaimo - Port Alberni - Ucluelet - Tofino, and return
- Once daily service Port Alberni - Ucluelet - Tofino, and return
- Twice daily service Port Alberni - Departure Bay, Nanaimo, and return
Victoria schedule summary:
- Departure Bay, Nanaimo to Duncan, Mill Bay & Victoria. 5 times daily
- Victoria, Mill Bay & Duncan to Departure Bay, Nanaimo. 5 times daily
Campbell River/Courtenay/Buckley Bay schedule summary:
- Departure Bay, Nanaimo to Buckley Bay, Courtenay & Campbell River. 5 times daily
- Campbell River, Courtenay & Buckley Bay to Departure Bay, Nanaimo. 5 times daily
EXPRESS schedule summary:
- Campbell River & Courtenay to Buckley Bay AND Buckley Bay to Duncan, Mill Bay & Victoria. Daily
- Victoria, Mill Bay & Duncan to Buckley Bay AND Buckley Bay to Courtenay & Campbell River. Daily
As always, there is only one way to ensure you get a seat on the bus of your choice - book it online
, on this website; Click Here
to make an enquiry, and if you wish, a reservation.
For those who can only make last minute travel plans on the day of travel, we can probably still accommodate you on a standby basis; just visit our Today's Travel page on your date of travel to get our schedule and to check availability and prices.
Our reward program that enables everybody to save
- Every time you book a seat on or you are awarded iPOINTS, which help you pay for your next or ticket.
- iPOINTS may also be purchased at a discount, enabling savings of up to 31% on all your ticket purchases.
Twenty five years ago, IslandLink started with bus service from Qualicum Beach, French Creek & Parksville to the Departure Bay ferry terminal. The service was designed to serve as a connector for Horseshoe Bay/Departure Bay foot passengers, and it still is today.
On our first day, June 23, 1998, we carried just one passenger from French Creek Marina to Departure Bay, Nanaimo for a fare of $12 one way. Today, IslandLink carries over 75,000 passengers a year, operates up to 16 buses all equipped with free wi-fi. Buses are clean and comfortable with seat belts on every seat. Baggage allowance is only limited by the amount you can carry!
Prior to COVID-19, the company was offering 6 round trip frequencies daily between Campbell River, Courtenay, Buckley Bay, Parksville and Departure Bay (Nanaimo), and 6 round trip daily frequencies between Victoria, Mill Bay, Duncan and Departure Bay (Nanaimo). We employed 14-20 drivers, fulltime.
With the onset of the COVID pandemic in early March 2020, we were forced to significantly cut back capacity as passenger demand evaporated. By mid-March we were the only inter-city bus service operating on Vancouver Island, but throughout the following three months we provided a skeleton service every day for those who relied on bus service to travel up and down the Island.
Today, the company serves four BC Ferries' terminals: Departure Bay, Little River, Buckley Bay and Campbell River providing connecting bus transportation for ferry foot passengers.
For the past 15 years we have offered an easy to use online booking system, which is used by 85% of our passengers to book their travel with us. We also provide a passenger loyalty program which rewards every booking with credits (iPOINTS). These credits can also be purchased at a discount, resulting in significant savings. Service is provided 364 days a year as on December 25 our drivers take a break.
FREE Wi-FI is available on all buses